Top 5 Reasons to live in Orchard
Top 5 Reasons to live in Orchard
Even with the proliferation of shopping malls all over Singapore, Orchard Road is still the country’s most renowned shopping and lifestyle district. But Orchard isn’t all shopping malls and restaurants – there are many residential properties at and around Orchard Road. There are plenty of great reasons to live in the epicentre of retail in Singapore. Here are our Top 5.
1. Shopping Galore
When you’re in the area most famous for its shopping, you can be sure there are plenty of selections for you to choose from.
• Head over to any of the high-end malls that dot the street, like ION or Paragon, to find your favourite luxury brands
• For more affordable shopping, there are always budget-friendly malls like Lucky Plaza and Far East Plaza
• For the more fashion forward among us, malls like Orchard Central and 313@Somerset offer high-street fashion labels and boutique stores
• You’ll also find the flagship stores for some of your favourite international brands, such as Michael Kors, Uniqlo, Apple and Off-White.
Shop for local and international brands to your heart's content in Orchard Road.
2. Food Glorious Food
There’s plenty of food here for you to refuel before you continue shopping. Naturally, you’ll find branches for major restaurant franchises here. But there are also other tasty treats waiting to be discovered:
• If you’re looking for a small bite or a sweet treat, there are bakeries and cafés galore offering both local and international desserts and snacks.
• For international cuisine, you’ll find a healthy mix of anything from Japanese, to French, Australian to German. You can even find Louisiana inspired meals¹.
• For meals on a budget, you can always check out the Lucky Plaza food court, Food Republic in 313@Somerset or Far East Plaza².
• If you want a taste of fine dining, there are plenty of restaurants that will treat you right along the road and nearby Scotts Road, such as the 2 Michelin-starred Shisen Hanten in Mandarin Orchard, Shinji in St Regis Hotel, and the 1 Michelin-starred Crystal Jade Golden Palace³ and Din Tai Fung.
3. Connect, In and Out.
It’s easy to get to and from Orchard Road:
• Three MRT stations serve Orchard Road: Orchard MRT is at its most northerly point, Somerset MRT is at the centre and Dhoby Ghaut MRT⁴ towards the southern end.
• A big network of bus lines connects Orchard to everywhere else in Singapore.
• And if you’re wary of braving the traffic as you walk along Orchard, there are plenty of underground pedestrian walkways connected to the malls and other streets in the area⁵.
4. Endless Entertainment
Orchard Road, offers plenty of exciting things to do that don’t involve shopping bags.
• Catch the latest blockbuster at a movie theatre, sing your favourite songs at a karaoke bar or put your reflexes to the test with VR gaming and laser tag.
• Pamper yourself at the numerous spas that dot the road.
• If you prefer to be more active, you’ll find plenty of action at the skate park⁶, an indoor trampoline playground⁷, and indoor rock-climbing.
• For a more relaxed day out, visit the museums, the public library or take a walk along Emerald Hill road, where you can admire the beautiful Peranakan heritage shops.
5. Historic Fort Canning Park
Finally, here is a completely different side or Orchard Road. Just a short walk away, you will find the unique tranquility that nature offers. Fort Canning Park is an iconic hilltop landmark that’s a perfect respite from the hustle and bustle of the city.
• Relax on any of its expansive, lush green lawns.
• If you’re a history buff, Fort Canning has the Battle Box, a museum that also offers a historical tour of Fort Canning Hill.
• Fort Canning Hill is also home to 9 Heritage Trees⁸, which are great spots for a quick photography session.
• It’s also a challenging workout course, with its steep slopes and steps.
Orchard Road is, and will continue to be, one of Singapore’s most vibrant and exciting neighbourhoods. If you love being in the heart of the hustle and bustle of city life, look no further than right here.